
The Southern Transitional Council denied that it was disbanding on Saturday, contradicting a statement by one of its members that the group had decided to dissolve itself.
Yemen's main separatist group, the Southern Transitional Council, denied that it was disbanding on Saturday, contradicting a statement by one of its members that the group had decided to dissolve itself.
The conflicting statements highlight a split in the STC, a group backed by the United Arab Emirates that seized parts of southern and eastern Yemen in December in advances that heightened tensions with another Gulf power, Saudi Arabia.
Saudi Arabia and the UAE used to work together in a coalition battling the Iranian-backed terrorist organization, the Houthis, in Yemen's civil war, but the STC advances exposed their rivalry, bringing into focus big differences on a wide range of issues across the Middle East, ranging from geopolitics to oil output.
Saudi-backed forces retake STC seized land
Saudi-backed fighters have largely retaken the areas of southern and eastern Yemen that the STC seized, and an STC delegation has traveled to the Saudi capital Riyadh for talks.
But STC leader Aidarous al-Zubaidi skipped the planned meetings and fled Yemen on Wednesday, and the Saudi-led coalition accused the UAE of helping him escape on a flight that was tracked to a military airport in Abu Dhabi.
In an announcement broadcast on Saudi state media on Friday, one of the group's members said the STC had decided to disband.
In a statement issued on Saturday, the STC said it had held an "extraordinary meeting" following the announcement in Riyadh and declared it "null and void," saying it had been made "under coercion and pressure."
The group also said its members in Riyadh had been detained and were being "forced to issue statements."
The STC reiterated calls for mass protests in southern cities on Saturday, warning against any attempts that target the group's "peaceful activities."
Authorities in Aden that are aligned with Yemen's Saudi-backed government on Friday ordered a ban on demonstrations in the southern city, citing security concerns, according to an official directive seen by Reuters.
LATEST POSTS
- 1
Miley Cyrus flashes a diamond ring on the red carpet, sparking engagement rumors with Maxx Morando: A timeline of their four-year relationship - 2
NASA's Apollo 8 moonshot saved 1968. Could Artemis 2 do the same in 2026? - 3
What's the new 'Knives Out' mystery about? Everything to know about 'Wake Up Dead Man,' including who's in the cast and what the reviews say. - 4
Why don’t humans have hair all over their bodies? A biologist explains our lack of fur - 5
10 Demonstrated Tips to Expand Your New Android Cell phone: A Thorough Aide
Find the Effect of Web-based Entertainment on Psychological wellness: Exploring the Advanced Scene Securely
Satellite data reveals a huge solar storm in 2024 shrank Earth's protective plasma shield
Vote in favor of your favored spot to peruse
Get Cooking: 15 Speedy and Heavenly Recipes for Occupied Individuals
How much should a kid's birthday party cost? One mom spent $190 for pizza and ice cream at a park. Another paid $2K for a playspace and goodie bags.
Shas threatens to oppose 2026 state budget over haredi food-voucher exclusion
Pick Your Favored kind of soup
Extravagance SUVs for Seniors: Solace, Innovation, and Security
Manual for Picking Coastline Travel











